R& B singer, Trey Songz will be performing at Common Ground Festival in Lansing, Michigan from Monday, July 11, 2011 at Lansing's Adado Riverfront Park.
By Quassan Castro
Usher, Jay Z, T.I., Pdiddy, Trey Songz and Denzel Washington all have that perfect style and swagger. Swagger is a persons' style that encompasses the way they walk, talk, and dress. When you have swagger there is a sense of self-awareness and confidence that draw people to you like a magnet.
When you walk into that job interview, swagger is what separates you from the next man. When you are at the audition for a starring role, swagger is that 'it' factor that draws attention to your presence. Here are a few tips on how to increase your style and swagger in preparation for the summer.
1) Determine that you are ready to be the brightest light shining in the room. Affirmations are a great way to program the mind. Tell yourself, "I'm the man!" and follow through with action. You can't have swagger and be a self-loather. Swagger is what comes out of your mouth and how it's stated.
2) Chin-up all day. Don't be defeated by competition or failure. Say goodbye to low self-esteem by ridding yourself of negative self-talk. Lack of confidence is a turn-off, especially in business. Would you trust your business with someone that seems unsure? Would you want a budding actor to portray you in a movie if he has no sense of assuredness? Confidence begins by waking up everyday and knowing that you have a greater purpose in life. Remember having swagger is not just what you wear, it's the light that beams around you.
3) Fashion and clothes are part of possessing swag, but it's how you wear the clothes and how you walk in the clothes, that gives you swag. Study the fashion trends, but also know you don't have to wear top designers to have swagger. You can take some less expensive items and make it work. Remember, it's not the clothes; it's how you walk in the clothes. Top off your style with a nice scented cologne. If your cologne is loud enough to attract stray cats, then you've already lost the race. Get a fragrance that compliments your swagger, not hurt it. Something light, yet alluring for the summer. Some of my favorites are Dolce and Gabbana, I AM KING, Happy for men by Clinique and USHER.
4) Moving pass the haters is essential. To maintain your swag in the summer, you have to ignore the haters. Remember that haters are people that have not realized there own worth or potential to succeed in life. Because they are in limbo, they have to throw salt on your name and successes. Haters have no life, that's why they are aware of all the moves you make. To maintain your swag, you have to ignore the haters. Consider it free publicity when someone is throwing salt on your name 24/7.
5) Don't be a copy. Be an original. If you spend your time copying rather than perfecting your originality, you don't have swagger. Spend time developing your own uniqueness. Swagger is about bringing originality to everything you do.
This article was printed in the April 24, 2011 - May 7, 2011 edition.