By Sharon Fox
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/4 C flour
1 C 2% milk
1 C heavy cream
3-4 C low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 bay leaves
1 large carrot, grated or
4 C broccoli florets
8 oz. Velveeta Cheese or Cheddar, cubed into small pieces
salt and pepper
bread bowls, for serving (optional)
1. Melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Set aside.
2. In a pot over medium heat, whisk flour, milk, and cream until smooth. (The roux may appear lumpy, but it’s fine). Add at least 3 cups of chicken stock, whisking all the time, until the roux thins out. Add nutmeg and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
3. Add onions, broccoli and carrot to the broth mixture and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Add cheese to the soup, and whisk until melted. If the soup is too thick, add the additional cup of stock.
5. To prepare bread boules, use a sharp knife to slice the top off, cut a circle into the loaf. Hollow the bread out with your fingers. Bake in a 350 degree oven until browned a little inside... if you like it toasted. Pour soup into bowl and serve.
Sharon Fox is the author of COMFORT FOOD FOR THE MIND, BODY, AND SOUL and she has a series of eBooks for Kindle.
She's also Food Editor for several online magazines and host of a new TV show based in Atlanta, GA "The Healthy Living Show"
For more information please visit her website:
This was printed in the March 24, 2013 - April 6, 2013 Edition