Recipe Serves: 6
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped celery
• 1 large head fresh broccoli, trimmed and roughly chopped
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
• Salt and white pepper
• 1-2 fresh rosemary sprigs and additional shredded cheddar cheese for topping, if desired
In a large Dutch oven or port, melt the butter. Add the celery and onion and stir until tender, about 8 minutes.
Add in the broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour all over the vegetables and gently mix to incorporate. Carefully pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 20 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally.
Carefully ladle or pour the vegetables and broth into a blender and process until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and stir in the cream and shredded cheese. Heat the soup until hot, but do not bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and white pepper to the pot and mix well. Top with additional shredded cheese, if desired.
Recipe created by Sarah of The Chef Next Door.
This article was printed in the January 10, 2016 - January 26, 2016 edition