On a fall day in 1928, Eastern High School opened its doors for the first time to 917 students who were greeted by Principal Dwight Rich.
At that time, Pennsylvania Avenue was a tree-lined, grassy boulevard, traffic lights were non-existent in the vicinity of this $1 million facility, and Sparrow Hospital consisted of a small square block on Michigan Avenue.
In the ensuing years, the curriculum was revised periodically to meet emerging trends in education and to better prepare students to succeed in an ever-changing economy.
Academic programs were strengthened with the addition of honors courses and Advanced Placement (AP) classes which enable students to earn college credits if they achieve qualifying scores on the year-end exams.
In 2006, Eastern became only the second Michigan high school to be certified to offer the International Baccalaureate Program. It challenges students to take a rigorous set of 6 academic subjects aimed at producing creative thinkers and problem-solvers with a global perspective and an appreciation for community service.
In addition to academics, students have benefited from an array of co-curricular activities which have evolved over the past 80-plus years. Quaker athletes have captured numerous league titles and many state championships.
Other students have participated in outstanding music and drama productions and served on award-winning debate teams and Academic Decathlon squads.
Throughout its history, Lansing Eastern’s primary strengths can be attributed to a dedicated cadre of teachers and support staff, an increasingly diverse student body who have enriched learning opportunities for all, and a devoted, loyal alumni who comprise an integral part of the Quaker Family.