Recipe Serves: 4
Recipe Prep Time:
For the Salad:
• 1 pound seasoned cooked chicken, thinly sliced
• 1 large Romaine lettuce heart (6 cups), rinsed and chopped
• 1 small tomatoes (1 cup), cut into wedges
• 1 cup thinly sliced seedless cucumber
• ½ cup pickled beet slices, drained with juice reserved
• ½ cup marinated Greek olives, pitted
• ¼ cup shaved red onion
• ½ cup crumbled cow’s milk Feta cheese, or more to taste
For the Greek Dressing:
• ½ cup light olive oil
• ¼ cup pickled beet juice (from the jar of pickled beets used in the salad)
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
• ½ teaspoons dried oregano
• ½ teaspoons black pepper
• ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
• ¼ cup crumbled cow’s milk Feta cheese, optional
Place the dressing ingredients into a jar with tight fitting lid. Securely affix the lid and vigorously shake the jar to emulsify the dressing. Set the dressing aside while preparing the salad.
Divide the lettuce between four large dinner plates. Also divide the tomato wedges, cucumber slices, beets, olives, red onion between the four plates, arranging as desired. Top each salad with 4 ounces of the cooked chicken slices. Scatter 1 tablespoon of feta cheese (or more, to taste) over the chicken.
Shake the dressing again, and then drizzle salads with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the dressing just prior to serving.
Published on Milk Means More - United Dairy Industry of Michigan (http://www.milkmeansmore.org)
This column was printed in the May 15, 2016 - May 28, 2016 edition.